New Orleans Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyer
Ridesharing has become popular in recent years. Uber and Lyft are convenient ways for people to get from place to place, especially in highly populated areas, where a person may not drive or have a vehicle. While ridesharing is considered to be a relatively safe form of transportation, it can be dangerous just like riding in any other vehicle. Rideshare drivers can be distracted, reckless, or negligent, causing a serious accident.
If you are involved in an Uber, Lyft or other rideshare accident, make sure you take the appropriate steps. The New Orleans Uber & Lyft accident lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm can help you understand the process.
Uber’s liability in an accident depends on several factors. If you were involved in an accident while in an Uber vehicle, the compensation you are entitled to receive depends on insurance coverage. This is based on the status of the rideshare driver. Here’s what you need to know:
- Status: waiting. If the at-fault driver was an Uber driver waiting for a ride request, Uber offers liability coverage of up to $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident, as well as $25,000 in property damage.
- Status: picking up passenger. If the at-fault driver was an Uber driver on their way to pick up a passenger, or if they already had you or another passenger in their car, Uber liability insurance coverage increases to $1 million. If another driver causes an accident during this time, Uber is not liable. You will have to file a claim against the at-fault driver.
What to Do After an Uber Accident
After an Uber accident, here’s what you need to do:
- Report the accident. You should report the accident to Uber immediately so you can get properly compensated. Contact Uber’s emergency hotline or report the incident through the Help section of the app.
- Gather information. Write down the names of the other people involved in the accident. Be sure to get contact information as well as the other driver’s insurance details.
- Document the accident. Take photos of the accident and jot down notes about what happened and where it happened. Also, keep any medical treatment records so you can prove your injuries.
- Seek medical assistance. See a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. Otherwise, the insurance company will try to deny your claim and say your injuries are not that serious.
- Contact a lawyer. A lawyer can negotiate a settlement for you or file a lawsuit, if necessary.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
Ubers and other rideshare vehicles can be convenient for those who need to get from one place to another, but these drivers are just like all other drivers. They can make mistakes that can lead to a serious accident.
You may wonder what happens after a rideshare accident. You may have questions about the process. Palazzo Law Firm can help you understand your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. Schedule a consultation with a New Orleans Uber accident/rideshare lawyer today by calling 504-433-1442 or filling out the online form.