New Orleans 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer
In various parts of Louisiana, like New Orleans, it’s not uncommon to see 18-wheeler trucks on the highways. These large vehicles haul tens of thousands of pounds of freight all over the state and country. These freight trucks can be 50-80 feet long, and while they are beneficial, they can be deadly due to their massive size. Being next to one of these trucks can bring about anxiety for even the most experienced driver. One wrong move can lead to catastrophic injuries or fatality.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, you may be feeling lost. Can you hold someone liable? Can you receive compensation for damages? Contact a New Orleans 18-wheeler accident lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm and we’ll help you understand the laws that apply and how you can get adequate compensation.
Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents
These trucks can get into crashes for a variety of reasons, including:
- Distracted driving. Truck drivers can get distracted, just like any other driver. When they are not paying attention, they can cause a serious accident.
- Truck driver fatigue or illness. A truck driver must be alert at all times when operating such a large vehicle. When a driver is tired or sick, they are not fully focused on the road and are likely to cause an accident.
- The driver is unfamiliar with the roads. Truck drivers travel on unfamiliar roads on a regular basis. They may not have regular routes, so they may be lost, causing them to make unpredictable moves, such as quick lane changes or sudden braking.
- These large trucks cannot stop on a dime. The faster they go, the more room they need to stop. However, many drivers speed in order to meet deadlines. If they cannot stop in time, they may rear-end a vehicle and cause a fatal accident.
- Brake or tire failure. Trucks need to be regularly maintained. They are driven for hundreds of miles a day. This amount of driving causes wear and tear, which means brakes, tires, and other parts are prone to fail without proper maintenance. Trucking companies need to stay on top of this.
- Poor training. These trucks are large, weighing many tons. Driving such a heavy truck is not an easy feat. They have large blind spots and take a long time to stop. They can be challenging to maneuver. That’s why drivers need adequate training before they are let loose on the roadways. A poorly trained driver can easily cause a crash.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
Large trucks like 18-wheelers are necessary for commerce. However, they are very large and have the ability to cause a catastrophic or even deadly accident. The team at Palazzo Law Firm can help you get through the effects of a truck crash. You could be dealing with serious injuries, medical bills, pain and suffering, property damage, and more. Call 504-433-1442 or fill out the online form to schedule a consultation with a New Orleans 18-wheeler accident lawyer.