New Orleans Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
We expect nursing homes to take good care of our loved ones when they become immobile or incapacitated. While many facilities do their best to properly care for patients, not all do. Nursing home abuse and neglect are, unfortunately, common issues. Nursing homes tend to cut corners and hire inexperienced staff to care for patients. This leads to neglect. Abuse often happens when staff members are overwhelmed. They lash out at patients, causing serious injuries.
Nursing home abuse is a sad situation. You need the right legal help on your side. A New Orleans nursing home abuse lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm can assess your case and help you report the situation to the proper authorities.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse can take on many forms. Some common types include:
- Physical abuse. This includes hitting, slapping, pushing, kicking, or restraining a nursing home resident inappropriately.
- Emotional or psychological abuse. This can include verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, or isolating the resident from others.
- Sexual abuse. This includes any unwanted sexual contact, sexual assault, or sexual harassment.
- This can include failure to provide proper care, including food, water, medication, and hygiene. Neglect can lead to malnutrition, dehydration, infections, bedsores, or other serious health issues.
- Financial abuse. This can include stealing or misusing a resident’s money, assets, or personal property.
How a Nursing Home Lawyer Can Help
If your loved one has been abused or neglected in a nursing home, a lawyer can help you by gathering relevant evidence. They can help prove the following:
- The nursing home facility had a legal duty to care for the victim but provided substandard care.
- Nursing home staff members harmed a resident through negligence and/or intentional acts of violence.
- The resident suffered long-term or permanent injuries or death due to the staff members’ actions.
- The resident or their family suffered damages due to the poor treatment.
If all the following apply, then the resident and their family can receive financial compensation for medical treatment, emotional distress, funeral expenses, and other losses. Your lawyer can help you secure financial compensation through legal settlements and trial verdicts. More than likely, your case will settle outside of court. Nursing home cases rarely go to trial.
The right lawyer understands the laws involved. Different laws affect a person’s ability to file a nursing home abuse lawsuit. Skilled lawyers know the local, state, and federal nursing home laws that apply. Keep in mind that under international human rights law, everyone, including nursing home residents, has the right to the highest attainable standard of health.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
Nursing home abuse is a common issue. If your loved one has been affected, seek legal help right away. The team at Palazzo Law Firm can help you with your situation. Our New Orleans nursing home abuse lawyer will help you get compensation and justice. To schedule a consultation, call 504-433-1442 or fill out the online form.