Gretna Sex Crime Lawyer
Sex crimes happen often. A person can be charged with rape and not even know why. Wasn’t there consent? Or they may not know the laws regarding prostitution. Why is it illegal to pay for sex? In many cases, a person is unaware of the laws and can be charged with a sex crime. In some cases, there are age restrictions involved with a sex crime and if a person isn’t aware, they can face criminal charges.
The laws can be confusing. Are you facing charges? If so, don’t handle them on your own. It’s important to have an experienced Gretna sex crime lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm on your side. Schedule a consultation today.
Types of Sex Crimes in Louisiana
There are several common sex crimes in Louisiana, including:
- The act of anal, oral, or vaginal sexual intercourse with a person (male or female) without their lawful consent. Any sexual penetration is sufficient and there does not need to be any ejaculation. Rape is categorized into several degrees:
- First-degree rape. This refers to rape committed on a person over the age of 65 without their consent. A person may be punished by life in prison or death.
- Second-degree rape. This refers to rape without the victim’s consent where physical violence is involved. A person can face 5-40 years in prison.
- Third-degree rape. This refers to any other type of rape committed against the person’s consent. A person may be punished by up to 25 years in prison.
- Sexual battery. This refers to the intentional touching of the victim’s anus or genitals by using an object or body part. It can be directly or through the clothing. The offender acts without the victim’s consent. The victim must be under 17 years old and at least three years younger than the offender, or the offender is 17 years of age or older. If convicted, a person could face up to 10 years in prison. If the victim was under 13 years old and the offender was 17 or older, the offender could face 25 to 90 years in prison.
- Child pornography. It is illegal for a person to possess, produce, promote, advertise, or distribute pornography involving children. It is also illegal for parents to allow their children to engage in child porn activities Depending on the crime, a person could face 5 to 20 years in prison for each count, as well as up to $50,000 in fines.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
Sex crimes are considered serious offenses in Louisiana. Prosecutors show no mercy for those who engage in these crimes. Count on the team at Palazzo Law Firm. We understand what you’re up against. The justice system can be intimidating, which is why our lawyers exhaust every possible resource to help you achieve a favorable outcome. Schedule a consultation with an experienced Gretna sex crime lawyer today by calling 504-433-1442 or filling out the online form.