Gretna Truck Accident Lawyer
Big rigs are common on Louisiana highways. These huge trucks are necessary for the economy, as they haul consumer goods to stores all throughout the state. They haul food, clothing, electronics, cars, and other necessities.
However, these trucks cause a lot of accidents. They can be dozens of feet long and weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Compare this to the average passenger vehicle, which may weigh around 3,000 to 4,000 pounds. This means semi trucks may be 20 times the size of a regular vehicle. That’s a huge difference, especially in an accident.
Truck accidents are often catastrophic and even deadly. If you have suffered injuries in a crash, you need strong, aggressive legal help on your side. The Gretna truck accident lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm know how complicated these cases can be and we’ll work hard to get you the best outcome possible.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can be caused by various factors. The truck driver or trucking company can be deemed negligent for the following:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving affects all motorists. When truck drivers are distracted, it can be a serious situation. Using cell phones, reading, eating, and changing radio stations behind the wheel are all examples of distracted driving.
- Driving while fatigued. Truck drivers work long hours. Their employers do not always follow hours of service laws, which limit them to 11 hours of continuous work. When they work beyond that, fatigue starts to set in. This can make driving dangerous.
- Road and weather conditions. Slippery roads, rain, ice, fog, and wind can make driving unsafe. Visibility is reduced and the truck can lose control.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not only illegal but also unsafe. Intoxication can affect judgment and reaction times, making drivers slower to respond to hazards in the roadway.
- Truck drivers are on strict deadlines, which means they are in a hurry to get to their destinations on time. This often means speeding, which can make it harder for a truck to stop quickly.
- Failing to properly train drivers. Driving a big rig requires adequate training. When a driver is not fully trained, they can lose control and cause a serious accident.
- Failing to maintain trucks. Big rigs travel hundreds of miles a day and need to be properly maintained. Tires and brakes need to be maintained or else the brakes may fail and the tires may suffer blowouts, which can lead to serious accidents.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
A semi truck can be dangerous, as the sheer size of one of the vehicles can make it difficult to maneuver, control, and stop. An accident involving a large truck can be severe or even fatal.
Truck accidents can be complex due to liability issues. Get the help you need from the knowledgeable team at Palazzo Law Firm. Contact our Gretna truck accident lawyer to schedule a free consultation. Fill out the online form or call 504-433-1442.