Gretna Slip & Fall Lawyer
Slips and falls are common cases but they shouldn’t be. People expect a certain degree of safety when they visit grocery stores, restaurants, malls, office buildings, hotels, banks, construction sites, and gas stations. However, many end up slipping and falling by no fault of their own.
Slippery surfaces, spills, debris, worn mats and rugs, broken flooring, stairs, and poor lighting can cause people to slip, trip, and fall. The elderly face an especially high risk of falls. In fact, more than 30% of adults over the age of 65 experience a fall every year, with 15,000 dying from their injuries. Most of these deaths are caused by head trauma and injuries to the lower extremities. Fractures are also common, and hip fractures are especially serious.
As you can see, slips and falls are no laughing matter. They are serious and even fatal events. If you have been a victim, get legal help from the Gretna slip & fall lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm.
Preventing Slips, Trips, and Falls
Some common causes of slips and falls are spills, ice, snow, rain, ladders, loose mats, rugs, and stepladders. Employers need to be aware of these dangers and ensure that safety standards are established to keep the public safe. Dangerous areas should be equipped with proper warning signs or closed to public traffic altogether. In addition, all walkways and floors should be free from slipping and tripping hazards.
Here are some other tips for preventing slips, trips, and falls:
- If you see something you might slip or trip on, clean it up or tell your supervisor right away. Don’t assume someone else will say something.
- Clear walkways and stairs of possible tripping hazards, such as cords, wires, empty boxes, and clutter.
- Keep floor mats flat rather than wrinkled or bunched.
- Use handrails when walking up and down steps.
- Open ladders and stepladders fully before use.
- Don’t overload ladders.
If You Are Injured
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, do the following:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Delaying treatment will only make matters worse and negatively affect your claim.
- Follow your doctor’s recommended treatment. Take the medications or go to therapy, if asked to do so.
- Report your accident to the property owner or manager. You may be asked to fill out an accident report.
- Take photos or video of the accident scene immediately. You will need evidence to prove negligence.
- Get contact information from witnesses. Their testimony can strengthen your case.
- Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney. They will help you with the next steps.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
Slips and falls are highly preventable events. Employers and property owners need to ensure that safety protocols are being followed so that employees and customers stay safe.
Palazzo Law Firm can help those injured in slip and fall accidents. We understand that you may be suffering from traumatic injuries. Our experienced Gretna slip & fall lawyer will hold the liable parties accountable for their actions. Schedule a free consultation today by calling 504-433-1442 or filling out the online form.