New Orleans Back Injury Lawyer
When you injure your back, what exactly does that mean? A back injury could mean a wide variety of injuries. Your back is made of bones, muscles and other tissues. Any of these parts could be injured due to a work injury, sports injury, car accident, or fall.
Many back injuries are caused by negligence. If you have suffered a back injury after an accident caused by someone’s negligence, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. A New Orleans back injury lawyer from Palazzo Law Firm can guide you through the process and help you get compensation for all your damages.
Types of Back Injuries
Back injuries can come about in several forms:
- Sprains and strains. Overstretching a muscle in your back or tearing a ligament can cause muscles to become inflamed. The inflammation leads to a back spasm, which can cause severe lower back pain.
- Herniated discs. When a disc is herniated, material leaks out of the disc and can pinch or irritate a nearby nerve. This can cause nerve root pain, which can radiate down the legs or arms.
- Fractured vertebrae. Fractures can be simple compression fractures, in which the bone collapses upon itself, to burst fractures, when pieces of bone explode. A fracture-dislocation is even worse, causing bones to break and slide away from each other.
What to Do After a Back Injury
After a back injury, take the following steps:
- Talk to a New Orleans back injury lawyer right away. Your lawyer can handle your case while you recuperate. They can file a claim on your behalf so you recover compensation. However, you only have one year to file a claim under Louisiana law, so act quickly.
- Complete your prescribed medical treatment. Follow your doctor’s instructions. You might be prescribed certain medications or therapies such as ice, bed rest and physical therapy. Steroid injections or surgery may be recommended in serious cases. In any case, do what your doctor says. If you ignore your treatment plan, the insurance company will argue that you were not seriously injured, causing them to lowball a settlement or even deny your claim altogether.
- Avoid posting anything on social media. Social media can get you in trouble. Many people like to post photos of themselves. This can ruin your back injury claim. Any photos showing you lifting something or enjoying a vacation can be used against you. The insurance could use Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter posts against you, so take a break while you recover.
Contact Palazzo Law Firm Today
Back injuries are debilitating injuries that can result in loss of mobility, pain, and other effects. Talk to a lawyer today to understand your legal rights. Contact the team at Palazzo Law Firm to file a claim for compensation. Our New Orleans back injury lawyer will guide you through the process. To schedule a consultation, fill out the online form or call 504-433-1442.